Thursday, November 22, 2007

gratitude

happy thanksgiving! this has always been one of my most favored holidays, as it so beautifully combines two of my favorite things--food and family. this year we have been invited to spend the day with beckie's family and i am so looking forward to it. dad and beckie were married this spring at the gorgeous sweet cheeks winery. beckie's family have been so generous and kind towards us, embracing us into the folds of their well-bonded clan. i love families and how they just keep getting bigger and more dynamic, how they are something you are blessedly born into and also can create using elements of the larger world.

in honor of thanksgiving (which by now was yesterday, but my routine and writing time is compromised by holidays and rodney's time off work)...i want to take some time to honor gratitude. i think it is such a healing emotion and action. i like to take some time out of my wonderfully hectic life, preferably--but rarely--every day, to pay attention to that which i am grateful. so it's a goal of mine to stop and feel my gratitude EVERY day from now on.

i am grateful for my husband because he puts up with me and he challenges me (and i mean that in every single way that it may sound!). i married him forever, and sometimes that feels really long and hard. but he is worth it and i celebrate him. he is talented, funny as hell, silly, blunt, sexy and surprising. very specifically, today i told him that i would like a piece of wood "this" big for a little shelf in the bathroom right here, and he cut the wood and put the shelf up and did it beautifully and now i have a little place to show off my newly crafted soaps. thank you, hubface.

i am grateful for beckie and her whole lovely family--the thanksgiving dinner was gorgeous and i loved every second of it. they are some of the most gracious people that i have ever met and i am truly blessed to be included in their rituals and their super-fun family. beth always sends jars and jars of fruits and jams and tomatoes! for us and it is such a good feeling to be thought of, and such a wonderful treat to have home-canned treats in our kitchen. thanks beckie, amy, kevin, beth, bill and everyone.

we all know i am grateful for my dad. but today specifically...i asked my dad for ideas on how to fund raise the five grand i want for my card/grocery bag business and he said "let me think about it" (sometimes he thinks on stuff for a loooooong time, so i anticipated being patient) but he got back to me soon with a website to look at, even directing me to go "here" then "there" then to "this place" and it led me to some very helpful information, that ACTUALLY MIGHT GET ME THE MONEY I NEED!!!! so, thanks dad! wow.

i am grateful for bedtime. i love the girls, but i am so glad at the end of the day to kiss and hug them off to dreamland and get some quiet time. thank you bedtime.

i am grateful for dark beer. it is the perfect thing on a wintry eve. rich and thick with a nice foamy head. a magical combination of barley and burnedness and hops and sugar. thank you fermentation!

i listed five things because i remember oprah mentioning the gratitude journal many years ago and it seems like she suggested to list five things every day. feels like a good number to me. thanks oprah!--haha



No comments: